Principles and commitments guiding the action :
The French Federation of Basketball, in accordance with the wish of its President Yvan Mainini, has signed the “sport and sustainable development” charter. This policy stems from the regional charter named “Agenda 21” and is in keeping with the “sport and sustainable development” charter of the French Olympic Committee
Its first action consists in integrating sustainable development in the 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship for Women.
The under 17 World Championship for Women offers the French Federation of Basketball a major opportunity to promote sustainable development within sport, and within basketball notably.
That approach carries a variety of forms :
- A social aspect brought to the fore by the will to enable all individuals to have their own personal experience of the practice of basketball(Basketball citizen), targeting young people and women among others. That policy will first focus on promoting sport values (ethics, …) and then on the need to pay closer attention to one’s body (health,…). The presence of the 12 international teams should strengthen international cooperation in sports.
- An economic aspect with the implementation of a strategy of local involvement, to be achieved first by turning to local companies in order to increase their economic impact (promotional events, products consumed on the spot, …), and second by planning on using the World Championship as a means to favour the social cohesion of their employees (acceptance of sports within the companies, ethics of social business, …).
- An environment-friendly aspect with the plan to lower excessive consumptions in order to better protect natural resources and firmly root the right practice of sports in each individual. This approach will favour unwasteful respectful means of transport.
- Finally, a lasting commitment to all partners: spectators, players, companies, the FIBA, … The will to create social sport events will enable many countries and regions to organise sport events involving all the actors of social and economic life.
Means of transport
Lodging the delegations as close to the competition sites as possible will make it possible to move around on foot in Toulouse and to travel to Rodez in a very short time.
Those sites, located in the city centre, have at their disposal all the various public transport facilities, opening access to the sites to all people.
The teams will be transported between Rodez and Toulouse by train, thanks to a partnership with the SNCF (the French national railroad company).
… other possibilities, such as one train ticket bought to be at the games = one free seat for the game, are also being considered.
Plans for the future
3 projects are included in the file « Agenda 21—sustainable development: the commitment of sport»
« Organisation and environment-friendly management »
Directly linked to the organisation of the Championship, this environment-friendly management will prove absolutely necessary. When implementing it, environmental, social and economic factors will be taken into account at every step of the way and in the choice of all actions.
« Sport, tourism et local development »
The aim is to set off the riches of the culture and the cultural heritage of our region, to enable not only the delegations, but also the visitors, to enjoy them
Tourist packages, including lodging, sightseeing and the game seats will be available from beginning of March onwards.
The agency of the Regional Councils of the Haute-Garonne and the Aveyron will centralize all reservations.
A specific link will be created on the web.
« Education, health, young feminine practice, public-spiritedness, Integration, Cultures »
The main aims of the project are :
- to federate
1. to appeal to all types of audiences, targeting more specifically people aged 6 to 20.
- to develop
1. to propose activities to youth club and arts centres, schools (from primary school to highschool) and clubs
2. to propose actions that can be carried on within the clubs after the event.
3. to propose themes for future days of action.
- to promote
1. to make top basketball known far and wide.
2. to make basketball known as a sport implying civic responsibility and practised for leisure while tightening local ties.